SAAM Arcade is an annual event hosted by the Smithsonian American Art Museum and its partners.
The event, which is free and open to the public, is August 5 and 6, 2017 at the museum's main building in Washington, D.C.
The event affords creative independent game designers and developers the opportunity to show their work at a two-day event for all ages where hundreds of people an hour may play your game. In 2016, 32 independent developers showed their work to an audience of more than 11,700 people. We are now accepting applications for inclusion in the 2017 event.
The selection criteria include game quality, novelty, and ability to engage a wide audience. Digital games, non-digital games, and everything in-between are welcome.
We have two categories for submissions: general and student. The general section is for indie developers creating projects that they have or will release professionally.
The student section is for projects from game developers currently enrolled in an accredited academic program. Student games must be submitted by one of the student team members using a valid school e-mail address (ending in .edu) as the contact e-mail.
If a game has been shown in previous years, it is not eligible for resubmission, but developers who have previously shown are welcome to submit new projects.
The Judging Process
Game submissions and selections are coordinated by American University's Chris Totten and Lindsay Grace as well as DC's IGDA Chapter. Elections are made by a senior panel of independent game makers and industry veterans appointed by American University and IGDA DC.
In the News
- Washington Post : The Hotlist : 11 things to see, eat, drink and do in January 2016
- Tech Void : Annual Indie Arcade Hosted at American University's Game Lab
- Gamasutra : Smithsonian now accepting applications for second 'indie arcade'
- Brightest Young Things : Recap: Indie Arcade @ Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Gamasutra : Smithsonian plans pop-up arcade for December; submissions open now
- DCInno : AU Game Lab Opened a Video Game Arcade at the Smithsonian Over the Holidays
This Event is Supported By
Past SAAM Arcades
For more information email us at SAAMArcade@si.edu.