Also Known as: Pepon Osorio, Benjamin Osorio Encarnación
San Juan, Puerto Rico 1955
- New York, New York
Sculptor and installation artist, born in 1955 in San Juan, Puerto Rico. In 1975, Osorio moved to the South Bronx in New York City, where he enrolled at Lehman College and earned a degree in sociology. Following his graduation, he worked in the child abuse prevention unit of the Human Resources Administration, working primarily with the Latino community. Since 1985 Osorio has participated in visual arts projects that are testimonials to his immediate South Bronx community. He completed an M.A. degree at Columbia University in 1986 and has been the recipient of numerous awards, including grants and fellowships from the Rockefeller Foundation, National Endowment for the Arts, and the Lila Wallace Arts Partners International Artist Program.
Latino Art and Culture Bilingual Study Guide (Washington, D.C.: National Museum of American Art, Smithsonian Institution, 1996)
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Our America: Preparing Pepón Osorio's El ...
- Eye Level: Meet Kerry James Marshall
- Eye Level: Throwback Thursday
- Eye Level: Seeing Things
- Eye Level: Handi-Hour: "Put a Bird on It"
- Eye Level: GameFest: A Pac-Man Family Portrait
- Eye Level: Picture This: Joesph Cornell Installation
- Eye Level: Last Weekend for Joseph Cornell
- Eye Level: Think Green
- Eye Level: Comic Book Newsarama