Muncie, Indiana 1953
- San Francisco, California
- New York, New York
Photograph by Jon Crispin.
Luce Artist Biography
David Beck is influenced by crank toys, whirligigs, and eighteenth- and nineteenth-century mechanical robots called automata that delighted, and sometimes tricked, children and adults. An accomplished woodworker, sculptor, painter and craftsman, Beck builds intricate moving sculptures such as operas, band shells, movie houses, and museums. Beck handcrafts each complex component himself using rare materials such as linden and walnut woods, ivories, inlays, lacquers, and mussel and ostrich-egg shells. He is a musician as well as an artist and records many of the sound effects for his pieces.
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Picture This: David Beck
- Eye Level: Prufbox
- Eye Level: Film Premiere: Curious Worlds: The Art and ...
- Eye Level: Conservation: Materials and Materiality in Eric ...
- Eye Level: Where Culture Meets Caffeine: Beck's Movie ...
- Eye Level: Round-Table Discussion with Christenberry, Bates ...
- Smithsonian American Art Museum Webcasts Listing from ...
- Eye Level: Valentine's Day Scramble
- Eye Level: No Tower of Art Babble!
- A Sense of Place Webcast / American Art