Also Known as: David Roland Smith
Decatur, Indiana 1906
Albany, New York 1965
- Bolton Landing, New York
- New York, New York
Courtesy Sam Meulendyke. Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution.
Luce Artist Quote
“The metal itself possesses little art history. What associations it possesses are those of this century: power, structure, movement, progress, suspension, destruction, brutality.” Smith, quoted in “David Smith Dies; Metal Sculptor,” New York Times, May 1965
Luce Artist Biography
David Smith left home at sixteen and worked as a welder and riveter in an automobile plant. In 1926 he moved to
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: New Acquisitions: David Smith Sculpture
- Eye Level: Renwick Curator Nicholas Bell on WONDER
- Eye Level: From Paris to Brooklyn: Crosscurrents Between ...
- Eye Level: American Art Sculpture
- Eye Level: When Pablo met SAAM: Picasso and Company on ...
- Rethinking Modernism Today | Smithsonian American Art ...