Portrait of a Lady
1851 George H. Hite Born: Urbana, Ohio 1807 Died: New York, New York watercolor on ivory mounted on paper 2 5/8 x 2 1/8 in. (6.7 x 5.4 cm) rectangle Smithsonian American Art Museum Museum purchase 1987.68 Not currently on view
Luce Center Label
The artist painted the background of this miniature in a vignette, so that the color fades into the background. When the ivory is viewed without its frame, the smudgy edges of the paint are revealed.
Portrait female - unidentified - bust
painting - miniature
paint - watercolor
About George H. Hite
Born: Urbana, Ohio 1807 Died: New York, New York
More works in the collection by
George H. Hite
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Picture This: Conserving a Lady
- Eye Level: Lights, Camera, Action! Antiques Roadshow in the ...
- Eye Level: Picture This: Antiques Roadshow at American Art
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Silhouettes
- Eye Level: Annie Leibovitz's State of the Union
- Eye Level: A Humorous Streak to The Art of Romaine Brooks
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Viola Frey
- Eye Level: Picture This: A Family Day for the Presidents
- Eye Level: Transcending Time
- Eye Level: Throwback Thursday: The Last Waltz: Lincoln's ...