Portrait of a Lady
ca. 1840 Alfred T. Agate Born: Sparta, New York 1812 Died: Washington, District of Columbia 1846 watercolor on ivory 3 7/8 x 3 in. (10.0 x 7.6 cm) oval Smithsonian American Art Museum Museum purchase through the Catherine Walden Myer Fund 1944.7.4 Not currently on view
Luce Center Label
The lady in this portrait wears a hairstyle fashionable with the young during the 1840s and 1850s. It is parted smoothly in the middle with tight clusters of curls over each ear.
Portrait female - unidentified - bust
painting - miniature
paint - watercolor
About Alfred T. Agate
Born: Sparta, New York 1812 Died: Washington, District of Columbia 1846
More works in the collection by
Alfred T. Agate
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Picture This: Conserving a Lady
- Eye Level: Lights, Camera, Action! Antiques Roadshow in the ...
- Eye Level: Picture This: Antiques Roadshow at American Art
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Silhouettes
- Eye Level: Annie Leibovitz's State of the Union
- Eye Level: A Humorous Streak to The Art of Romaine Brooks
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Viola Frey
- Eye Level: Picture This: A Family Day for the Presidents
- Eye Level: Transcending Time
- Eye Level: Throwback Thursday: The Last Waltz: Lincoln's ...