1898 Alice Pike Barney Born: Cincinnati, Ohio 1857 Died: Los Angeles, California 1931 oil on canvas 18 3/8 x 16 1/8 in. (46.6 x 41.1 cm) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of Laura Dreyfus Barney and Natalie Clifford Barney in memory of their mother, Alice Pike Barney 1951.14.77 Not currently on view
Hear more about
from American Art staff
Luce Center Label
Alice Pike Barney studied in Paris with portrait painter Emile Auguste Carolus-Duran, who believed that a sitter's outward appearance reflected his or her inner character. The Necklace, which was probably a self-portrait, shows a self-assured woman with a gold necklace. Her direct gaze and the portrait's dramatic lighting lend her an almost haughty air, hinting at Barney's independent and somewhat rebellious character.
Dress - accessory - jewelry
Occupation - art - artist
Portrait female - Barney, Laura Dreyfus
paint - oil
fabric - canvas
About Alice Pike Barney
Born: Cincinnati, Ohio 1857 Died: Los Angeles, California 1931
More works in the collection by
Alice Pike Barney
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Handi-Hour: Let's Make Duct Tape Wallets and T ...
- Eye Level: Ghosts of a Chance
- Eye Level: Luce Jewelry
- Eye Level: Simryn Gill
- Eye Level: Handi-Hour Back at the Renwick!
- Eye Level: Portraits of Women Artists
- Eye Level: Preparing for Our America: Portraying Community ...
- Eye Level: @ The Antiques Roadshow
- Eye Level: Open Now: African American Art
- Eye Level: Picture This: Conserving a Lady