William J. Kaula
Born: Boston, Massachusetts 1871
Died: Boston, Massachusetts 1953
oil on canvas 31 7/8 x 39 3/8 in. (81.0 x 99.9 cm) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of Mary B. Longyear
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Luce Foundation Center, 3rd Floor, 14A
Luce Center Label
This image captures the last glimpses of light before darkness falls on a summer day. The luminous clouds and vast expanse of sky complement the comforting shadows of trees over a quiet homestead. William J. Kaula painted the greens, browns, and lavenders in closely related values that suggest the soft glow of twilight on a warm evening.
Architecture Exterior - domestic - house
Landscape - time - evening
Landscape - water
paint - oil
fabric - canvas
About William J. Kaula
Born: Boston, Massachusetts 1871 Died: Boston, Massachusetts 1953
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: An Evening with Lonnie Holley
- Webcast of "An Evening with Richard Estes" / American Art
- Eye Level: Create a World: An Evening with Art Critic Jerry ...
- Eye Level: The Last Waltz: Lincoln's Second Inauguration
- Eye Level: Throwback Thursday: The Last Waltz: Lincoln's ...
- Eye Level: Comments at an Exhibition: Visitors Respond to ...
- Eye Level: iChiaroscuro
- Eye Level: Yes, But is it Art?
- Eye Level: Hiroshi Sugimoto (Part II)
- Eye Level: Clarice Smith Lecture: Richard Lacayo on the Art of ...