1956-1958 Jack Levine Born: Boston, Massachusetts 1915 Died: New York, New York 2010 oil on canvas 72 x 63 in. (183.0 x 160.0 cm.) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of the Sara Roby Foundation 1986.6.54 Not currently on view
Inauguration portrays the solemnity of the quadrennial ceremony in which the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court administers the oath of office to the nation’s president-elect. Levine identified the presidential figure as a combination of Woodrow Wilson, Harry Truman, and Dwight Eisenhower, suggesting the continuity of the American democratic process.
Modern American Realism: The Sara Roby Foundation Collection, 2014
Ceremony - civic - oath
Dress - accessory - hat
Performing arts - music
paint - oil
fabric - canvas
About Jack Levine
Born: Boston, Massachusetts 1915 Died: New York, New York 2010
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: The Inauguration
- Eye Level: The Last Waltz: Lincoln's Second Inauguration
- Eye Level: Throwback Thursday: The Last Waltz: Lincoln's ...
- Eye Level: Throwback Thursday
- Eye Level: Party Like It's 1865!
- Eye Level: Abraham Lincoln 2.0
- Eye Level: Picture This: How Do You Clean the Kogod ...
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Anni Albers and the Evolution of ...
- Eye Level: Luce Unplugged Community Showcase: Five ...
- Eye Level: Our Man in Haiti