Its Another Spring
Born: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1890
Died: Paris, France 1976
mixed media: metal spring, ivory ball, and wooden cigar box 11 5/8 x 8 x 6 5/8 in. (29.5 x 20.2 x 16.8 cm.) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of Juliet Man Ray
Smithsonian American Art Museum
2nd Floor, North Wing
Luce Center Quote
“Everything I do is done in the spirit of pleasure.” Man Ray, Exhibition Catalogue, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1966
Luce Center Label
Man Ray loved expressing humor in his work and often hinted at erotic imagery through his assemblages of everyday objects. In It’s Another Spring the arrangement of the cigar box, bedspring, and ivory ball evokes male sexual power, while the season of spring more generally makes us think of sexual awakening.
Modern art movement - assemblage - box
About Man Ray
Born: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1890 Died: Paris, France 1976
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Five Questions: DC Jazz Composers Collective
- Eye Level: Five Questions: A Sing-Along with Wyckham Avery
- Eye Level: In the News: Report on Smithsonian Arts
- Eye Level: Luce Unplugged: Five Questions (plus one) with ...
- Eye Level: Pilgrimage: Five Questions with Annie Leibovitz
- Eye Level: Five Questions with the Brad Linde Ensemble
- Eye Level: 5 Questions for Christopher Kendall on the 21st ...
- Eye Level: The Best of Ask Joan of Art: The History of ...
- Eye Level: Luce Unplugged: Five Questions for Color Palette
- Eye Level: Simryn Gill