Jan Miense Molenaer
Born: Haarlem, Netherlands
Died: Haarlem, Netherlands 1668
oil on wood sight 21 x 31 3/4 in. (53.3 x 80.6 cm.) Smithsonian American Art Museum Bequest of Mabel Johnson Langhorne
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Luce Foundation Center, 3rd Floor, 5B
Luce Center Label
Festive Scene conjures chimney smoke, bleating pipes, and boozy sweat. Revelers dance and drink in a dark tavern, where a spotted dog snoozes in spite of the racket. This is one of many humorous tavern interiors painted by the Dutch master Jan Miense Molenaer. (Westermann, “Jan Miense Molenaer in the Comic Mode,” in Weller, Jan Miense Molenaer: Painter of the Dutch Golden Age, 2002). The work was part of the collection of Ralph Cross Johnson, a Harvard-educated lawyer who was described at the time of his death as “One of the greatest patrons of art in the country” (The Washington Post, July 10, 1923). Johnson gave the Smithsonian American Art Museum (then the National Collection of Fine Arts) forty-one old-master paintings, which filled an entire gallery of the Museum. Seventeenth-century Dutch paintings were all the rage among wealthy Americans like Johnson, who amassed European art in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, hoping that their collections would one day form the core of America’s national museums.
Ceremony - festival
Ethnic - Dutch
Performing arts - music - violin
Recreation - dancing
About Jan Miense Molenaer
Born: Haarlem, Netherlands Died: Haarlem, Netherlands 1668
More works in the collection by
Jan Miense Molenaer
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: District of Play: DC's Vibrant Video Game Scene
- Eye Level: Ella Fitzgerald Turns 100: Five Questions with ...
- Eye Level: Five Questions with Nick Marinelli of MAGFest, Part ...
- Eye Level: Movies at SAAM: The New York Latino Film ...
- Eye Level: Five Questions: Opera at the Renwick
- Eye Level: Five Questions: Women in Jazz
- Eye Level: Luce Unplugged: Five Questions with Bad Moves
- Eye Level: Experience the Smithsonian AIDS Memorial Quilt ...
- Eye Level: Prufbox
- Eye Level: Take Five: Five Questions with Sandra Y. Johnson