Portrait of a Lady
ca. 1850 Thomas S. Officer Born: Carlisle, Pennsylvania 1810 Died: San Francisco, California 1859 watercolor on ivory sight 5 x 2 1/2 in. (12.7 x 6.4 cm) rectangle Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of Mrs. Henry L. Milmore 1950.4.41 Not currently on view
Luce Center Label
Thomas Officer painted this miniature while he was living in Mexico between 1848 and 1850. The lady wears a brooch and bracelet possibly of black onyx, and a necklace and earrings of pearls. These accessories accentuate the contrast between her fair skin and dark eyes and hair. The elegant pose has been undercut by the formal, almost awkward rendering of the sitter’s left hand.
Portrait female - unidentified - bust
painting - miniature
paint - watercolor
About Thomas S. Officer
Born: Carlisle, Pennsylvania 1810 Died: San Francisco, California 1859
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Picture This: Conserving a Lady
- Eye Level: Lights, Camera, Action! Antiques Roadshow in the ...
- Eye Level: Picture This: Antiques Roadshow at American Art
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Silhouettes
- Eye Level: Annie Leibovitz's State of the Union
- Eye Level: A Humorous Streak to The Art of Romaine Brooks
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Viola Frey
- Eye Level: Picture This: A Family Day for the Presidents
- Eye Level: Transcending Time
- Eye Level: Throwback Thursday: The Last Waltz: Lincoln's ...