Portrait of a Child
ca. 1800 Raphaelle Peale Born: Annapolis, Maryland 1774 Died: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1825 watercolor on ivory 2 1/2 x 1 7/8 in. (6.2 x 4.9 cm) oval Smithsonian American Art Museum Museum purchase through the Catherine Walden Myer Fund 1963.9.5 Not currently on view
Luce Center Label
This is thought to be a painting of a child known only as “Miss Borrie.” The artist applied touches of red to the girl’s lips and cheeks in this otherwise subdued painting to emphasize her smiling expression.
Portrait female - unidentified - bust
Portrait female - unidentified - child
painting - miniature
paint - watercolor
About Raphaelle Peale
Born: Annapolis, Maryland 1774 Died: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1825
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Portraits of Women Artists
- Eye Level: The Best of Ask Joan of Art: William H. Johnson
- Eye Level: Art Conservation: A Look Inside Pio Casimiro ...
- Eye Level: Erica Hirshler: Looking at John Singer Sargent
- Eye Level: Our New Museum Stores
- Eye Level: The 2012 Edition of American Pictures
- Eye Level: Behind the Scenes: Determining an Artwork's ...
- Eye Level: American Muralist Tom Lea
- Eye Level: American Pictures: Jules Feiffer on Fred Astaire
- Eye Level: Romaine Brooks: Body of Work