modeled 1841-1843, carved ca. 1873
Born: Woodstock, Vermont 1805
Died: Florence, Italy 1873
marble 44 x 14 x 13 1/2 in. (111.8 x 35.6 x 34.3 cm.) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of Mrs. Benjamin H. Warder
Smithsonian American Art Museum
2nd Floor, East Wing
Ethnic - Greek
Figure female - full length
Figure female - nude
History - ancient - Greece
Occupation - other - slave
State of being - evil - imprisonment
stone - marble
About Hiram Powers
Born: Woodstock, Vermont 1805 Died: Florence, Italy 1873
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Hiram Powers' The Greek Slave at The Crystal ...
- Eye Level: Conservation: Cleaning Hiram Powers' Greek ...
- Eye Level: Finding a 19th Century Shortcut: The Body Casting ...
- Eye Level: Watch This: Ghosts of New York
- Eye Level: American Art Sculpture
- Eye Level: 3D Scanning: The 21st-Century Equivalent to a ...
- Eye Level: Photography Encouraged: Imagination and ...
- Eye Level: Five Questions: Craft in a Different Light
- Eye Level: Abraham Thomas: New Curator-in-Charge at ...
- Eye Level: Symposium: Shifting Terrain: Mapping a ...