One and Another
1934 Hugo Robus Born: Cleveland, Ohio 1885 Died: New York, New York 1964 bronze on wood base overall: 28 3/4 x 43 7/8 x 23 3/8 in. (73.0 x 111.5 x 59.4 cm.) base: 1 3/4 x 43 7/8 x 23 3/8 in. (4.5 x 111.5 x 59.4 cm.) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of the Sara Roby Foundation 1986.6.72 Not currently on view
Hugo Robus’s sculpture captures the age-old theme of mother and child. The stylized design and polished surface of One and Another reflect his early training as a jeweler before he turned to painting and subsequently to sculpture. Each figure is complete yet interlocked with the other; their silhouettes trace the double oval of the infinity symbol, recalling the interdependence of mother and child.
Modern American Realism: The Sara Roby Foundation Collection, 2014
Figure group - family - mother and child
Figure group - female and child - nude
metal - bronze
About Hugo Robus
Born: Cleveland, Ohio 1885 Died: New York, New York 1964
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Movies at SAAM: Winter Edition
- Eye Level: Seeing Things (1)
- Eye Level: Luce Artist Talk: Five Questions (+2) with ...
- Eye Level: Throwback Thursday: Seeing Things (1)
- Eye Level: 300 Hours and One Legendary Artwork
- Eye Level: Luce Unplugged: 5 Questions (Plus One) with ...
- Eye Level: Luce Unplugged: Five Questions (plus one) with ...
- Eye Level: Another (Alternate) Year, Another Biennial
- Eye Level: Five Questions (+1) with Michael Heaston of the ...
- Eye Level: Throwback Thursday, Nam June Paik: Because ...