1938 Viktor Schreckengost Born: Sebring, Ohio 1906 Died: Tallahassee, Florida 2008 terracotta and glaze with engobe 18 5/8 x 10 3/8 x 9 in. (47.3 x 26.3 x 22.9 cm.) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of the artist 1985.92.2 Not currently on view
Luce Center Label
During the 1930s, Viktor Schreckengost produced a large number of figural sculptures of African Americans. The three joyous gospel singers in Glory, Glory demonstrate the artist’s interest in African American religious services.
Ethnic - African-American
Figure group - female
Performing arts - music - voice
decorative arts - ceramic
Crafts - Clay
About Viktor Schreckengost
Born: Sebring, Ohio 1906 Died: Tallahassee, Florida 2008
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level
- Eye Level: Throwback Thursday, Nam June Paik: Because ...
- Eye Level: Nam June Paik: Because Almost All of the ...
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Melons and Pentimenti
- Eye Level: A Sound Take on Craft
- Eye Level: Isadora Duncan
- Eye Level: July 4th: The American Experience in American Art
- Eye Level: April Gornik: Cloudy with a Chance of Clouds