Portrait of a Boy
oil on canvas 27 x 25 in. (68.6 x 63.5 cm.) Smithsonian American Art Museum Bequest of Mabel Johnson Langhorne
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Luce Foundation Center, 3rd Floor, 4A
Luce Center Label
In this portrait the artist captured the forceful and confident personality of a boy. The youth wears a jacket, red vest, and a stylish white cravat with an upturned collar, suggesting his future role in society as an upper-class gentleman. The sitter was probably eleven or twelve years old when his portrait was made, but his identity, as well as the artist’s, is unknown.
Figure male - child - bust
Portrait male - unidentified - child
paint - oil
fabric - canvas
About Unidentified (Italian)
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Eric Fischl: Painting Stories
- Eye Level: The Best of Ask Joan of Art: William H. Johnson
- Eye Level: Charles Willson Peale: The Man in Front of the ...
- Eye Level: Let's Begin Black History Month with Edmonia ...
- Eye Level: Abe Pollin's Home Run
- Eye Level: Upcoming Cineconcert: Andrew E. Simpson and ...
- Eye Level: On "1934," a Poem by Philip Levine