Portrait of a Lady
watercolor on ivory 1 1/8 x 1 1/4 in. (2.9 x 3.2 cm) half oval Smithsonian American Art Museum Museum purchase
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Luce Foundation Center, 3rd Floor, 16A, Drawer 1
Luce Center Label
Set in a locket, this mourning miniature holds the memory of a woman’s beauty and elegance. Feathers and a string of navy beads accent her hair, which is styled in the manner of late-eighteenth-century British aristocrats. The portrait’s somber mood conveys the family’s grief after the loss of a loved one.
Portrait female - unidentified - head
painting - miniature
paint - watercolor
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Picture This: Conserving a Lady
- Eye Level: Lights, Camera, Action! Antiques Roadshow in the ...
- Eye Level: Picture This: Antiques Roadshow at American Art
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Silhouettes
- Eye Level: Annie Leibovitz's State of the Union
- Eye Level: A Humorous Streak to The Art of Romaine Brooks
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Viola Frey
- Eye Level: Picture This: A Family Day for the Presidents
- Eye Level: Transcending Time
- Eye Level: Throwback Thursday: The Last Waltz: Lincoln's ...