Portrait of a Lady
ca. 1830 Attributed to Nathaniel Rogers Born: Bridgehampton, New York 1788 Died: Bridgehampton, New York 1844 watercolor on ivory sight 2 7/8 x 2 3/8 in. (7.3 x 6.0 cm) oval Smithsonian American Art Museum Museum purchase 1975.60.2 Not currently on view
Luce Center Label
Purchased as a pair, these miniatures are housed in identical frames. Although couples often had matching frames made for their miniatures, later owners sometimes changed frames to reflect more up-to-date tastes. We cannot assume that these sitters are related without knowing more about who they might be, based on the identities of previous owners.
Portrait female - unidentified - bust
painting - miniature
paint - watercolor
Born: Bridgehampton, New York 1788 Died: Bridgehampton, New York 1844
More works in the collection by
Attributed to Nathaniel Rogers
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Picture This: Conserving a Lady
- Eye Level: Lights, Camera, Action! Antiques Roadshow in the ...
- Eye Level: Picture This: Antiques Roadshow at American Art
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Silhouettes
- Eye Level: Annie Leibovitz's State of the Union
- Eye Level: A Humorous Streak to The Art of Romaine Brooks
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Viola Frey
- Eye Level: Picture This: A Family Day for the Presidents
- Eye Level: Transcending Time
- Eye Level: Throwback Thursday: The Last Waltz: Lincoln's ...