Portrait of a Lady
ca. 1850 Henry Brintnell Bounetheau Born: Charleston, South Carolina 1797 Died: Charleston, South Carolina 1877 watercolor on ivory sight 4 5/8 x 3 5/8 in. (11.7 x 9.2 cm) rectangle Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of Mrs. Henry Du Pré Bounetheau 1946.3.11 Not currently on view
Luce Center Label
The young lady in this portrait wears a gown typical of the mid-1800s, with a narrow, pointed bodice and off-the-shoulder sleeves.
Portrait female - unidentified - waist length
painting - miniature
paint - watercolor
Born: Charleston, South Carolina 1797 Died: Charleston, South Carolina 1877
More works in the collection by
Henry Brintnell Bounetheau
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Picture This: Conserving a Lady
- Eye Level: Lights, Camera, Action! Antiques Roadshow in the ...
- Eye Level: Picture This: Antiques Roadshow at American Art
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Silhouettes
- Eye Level: Annie Leibovitz's State of the Union
- Eye Level: A Humorous Streak to The Art of Romaine Brooks
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Viola Frey
- Eye Level: Picture This: A Family Day for the Presidents
- Eye Level: Transcending Time
- Eye Level: Throwback Thursday: The Last Waltz: Lincoln's ...