1986 Romare Bearden Born: Charlotte, North Carolina 1911 Died: New York, New York 1988 collage on wood 28 x 20 in. (71.1 x 50.8 cm) Smithsonian American Art Museum Transfer from the General Services Administration, Art-in-Architecture Program © 1988, Estate of Romare Bearden 1990.37 Not currently on view
Family is the preliminary model for a ceramic tile mural Bearden created for the Joseph P. Addabbo Federal Building in Jamaica, New York. The overlapping forms of hands and arms reinforce the scene of family and generational bonding. The grandfather’s outward gaze connects the viewer with this scene of heritage and hope.
Modern Masters: Midcentury Abstraction from the Smithsonian American Art Museum, 2008
Architecture Exterior - detail - porch
Figure group - family
About Romare Bearden
Born: Charlotte, North Carolina 1911 Died: New York, New York 1988
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Picture This: A Family Day for the Presidents
- Eye Level: GameFest: A Pac-Man Family Portrait
- Eye Level: Family Ties at the Renwick Gallery
- Eye Level: Unearthing Family History at American Art
- Eye Level: Picture This: Spring, Cherry Blossoms, and Family
- Eye Level: Picture This: Paikbot Family Day
- Eye Level: Take Me Out to the Museum: Baseball Family Day ...
- Eye Level: Family Ties: Marc Fasanella on his Father's ...
- Eye Level: Five Questions with Nick Marinelli of MAGFest, Part ...
- Eye Level: The Initiative
- "Mississippi Monday," by Romare Bearden - Crosscurrents ...
- Midcentury - Online Gallery - Crosscurrents: Modern Art from ...
- Posters: AA - <i>Africa Speaks to the West</i> from the series " ...
- African American Art: Harlem Renaissance, Civil Rights Era ...
- Ralph Fasanella: The Public Domain Story
- "Circus Girl Resting" by Yasuo Kuniyoshi - The Artistic Journey ...