1987 William Hunter Born: Long Beach, California 1947 cocobolo 14 1/8 x 7 7/8 in. (35.9 x 20.1 cm) diam. Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of Jane and Arthur K. Mason © 1987, William Hunter 1991.169.4 Not currently on view
Luce Center Quote
"The motion is achieved by sculpturally leading the eye along a journey of exploration around and into the surface of the piece." William Hunter, The Art of Turned Wood Bowls, 1985
Luce Center Label
William Hunter has worked with ivory and amber in the past but now favors tropical woods for their unusual patterns and ability to retain fine detail. He uses the wood's natural form to inspire his pieces and follows the pattern of the grain with his signature swirls and spirals.
Crafts - Wood
wood - cocobolo
About William Hunter
Born: Long Beach, California 1947
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Betsy Broun's Vision: An Appreciation
- Eye Level
- Eye Level: Reading Into the Throne: On James Hampton's ...
- Eye Level: Movies at SAAM: Summer 2017
- Eye Level: Manhattan in Black and White and Color
- Eye Level: Paik for Everyone
- Eye Level: George Washington Wearing a Toga?
- Eye Level: Our New Museum Stores
- Eye Level: Conservation of Alexander Calder's Gwenfritz
- Eye Level: Machine Love: Sir Norman Foster's Courtyard ...