1989 Addie Draper Born: Albuquerque, New Mexico 1952 tulipwood, ebony, and holly 4 3/4 x 7 3/8 in. (12.2 x 18.8 cm) diam. Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of George Peter Lamb and Lucy Scardino in memory of Natalie Rust Lamb 1995.100.6 Not currently on view
Luce Center Label
In Closed Vessel, Addie Draper incorporated small sections of ebony and ivory that stand out against the softer wood tones. The sweeping grain and the sharp lines of ebony flow around the form as it balances on a narrow base, almost like a top waiting to be spun.
Crafts - Wood
wood - ebony
wood - holly
wood - tulipwood
About Addie Draper
Born: Albuquerque, New Mexico 1952
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Matthias Pliessnig: In Ship Shape
- Eye Level: Conversation Piece: Martin Puryear's Vessel
- Eye Level: Light Fantastic: Gabriel Dawe in Conversation
- Eye Level: We've Got Something for You at the Renwick This ...
- Eye Level: In This Case: Godly Susan
- Eye Level: Luce Goes 3D!
- Eye Level: Lino Tagliapietra: Wedded to Glass
- Eye Level: Five Questions for Basket Collectors Martha Ware ...
- Eye Level: The Clay's the Thing
- Eye Level: The Civil War and American Art: A Confederate ...