1990 Johannes Michelsen Born: Copenhagen, Denmark 1945 spalted maple burl with lacquer 24 1/2 x 15 1/2 in. (62.3 x 39.4 cm) diam. Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of George Peter Lamb and Lucy Scardino in memory of Natalie Rust Lamb 1995.100.22 Not currently on view
Luce Center Quote
"With enough experience, you don't need science." Johannes Michelsen, Wood Magazine, 1996
Luce Center Label
Johannes Michelsen has thickly painted the bulbous base of this piece to give a gleaming finish. The bare wood appears to grow from this rounded form, and the dramatic stripes of grain stand out against the muted blue. Michelsen explores different surfaces within his turned forms and enjoys combining perfect finishes with natural edges and rough texture.
Crafts - Wood
wood - maple
About Johannes Michelsen
Born: Copenhagen, Denmark 1945
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: New Acquisitions: Donald Judd's Untitled
- Eye Level: A Graphic Master: Charles White
- Eye Level: A Closer Look at Our America: Jorge Soto Sánchez
- Eye Level: Lighting the Joseph Cornell Retrospective
- Eye Level: Through a Glass, Clearly: Art Glass @50
- Eye Level: The 2012 Edition of American Pictures
- Eye Level: Preparing for Our America: Portraying Community ...
- Eye Level: In this Case: Nam June Paik Archive
- Eye Level: Two New Additions to the Museum: Joseph Cornell
- Eye Level: The Threads That Connect the Stars: Poet Martín ...