1992 John McQueen Born: Oakland, Illinois 1943 yucca 28 1/2 x 17 3/4 x 14 1/2 in. (72.4 x 45.2 x 14.8 cm) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of Eleanor T. and Samuel J. Rosenfeld 1997.41.3 Not currently on view
Luce Center Label
Like many of John McQueen’s baskets, Untitled was woven around other pieces of wood used as forms. The rough-edged angularity of this piece evokes the aggressive plant from which the artist took his materials. McQueen further emphasizes this with areas of bristly and irregular plaiting.
Crafts - Fiber
plant material - yucca
About John McQueen
Born: Oakland, Illinois 1943
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: New Acquisitions: Donald Judd's Untitled
- Eye Level: A Graphic Master: Charles White
- Eye Level: A Closer Look at Our America: Jorge Soto Sánchez
- Eye Level: Lighting the Joseph Cornell Retrospective
- Eye Level: Through a Glass, Clearly: Art Glass @50
- Eye Level: The 2012 Edition of American Pictures
- Eye Level: Preparing for Our America: Portraying Community ...
- Eye Level: In this Case: Nam June Paik Archive
- Eye Level: Two New Additions to the Museum: Joseph Cornell
- Eye Level: In Closing: The Impact of Nam June Paik on ...