Born: Delaplane, Virginia 1904
Died: Delaplane, Virginia 1980
carved and painted pine, found objects 9 3/4 x 4 3/8 x 2 1/2 in. (24.8 x 11.1 x 6.4 cm.) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of Chuck and Jan Rosenak and museum purchase through the Luisita L. and Franz H. Denghausen Endowment
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Luce Foundation Center, 3rd Floor, 27A
Luce Center Label
Steve Ashby cut out his sculptures from pieces of plywood and decorated them with model airplane paints and found objects. In Dancing Couple he made the wide, staring eyes by painting two thumbtacks. At first glance, the couple appear to be dancing, but on closer inspection the man’s leering expression and the woman’s defensive pose suggest a more sinister relationship.
Figure female - full length
Figure male - full length
Recreation - dancing
wood - pine
About Steve Ashby
Born: Delaplane, Virginia 1904 Died: Delaplane, Virginia 1980
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Luce Artist Talk: A Couple of Questions with Four ...
- Eye Level: Luce Unplugged Community Showcase: Five ...
- Eye Level: Preparing for Our America: Music and Abstraction ...
- Eye Level: Seeing Things (2): Art and Love
- Eye Level: In This Case: Luis Jimnez's Model for "Fiesta"
- Eye Level: Heat
- Eye Level: Cory Arcangel and Media Arts at American Art
- Eye Level: Luce Unplugged: Five Questions (plus one) with ...
- Eye Level: America Now at SAAM
- Eye Level: Roy DeCarava, 19192009