1994 Marshall Elliott Jacobs Born: Washington, District of Columbia 1923 Died: Chevy Chase, Maryland 2006 Norfolk Island pine 4 1/2 x 10 3/4 in. (11.4 x 27.3 cm) diam. Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of Shirley and Marshall Jacobs 1998.29.1 Not currently on view
Luce Center Label
In Knots and Water Fall, Marshall Jacobs turned thin, smooth vessels to highlight the contrast between the pale, golden wood and the dark grain. The blurred lines of grain in Water Fall suggest the movement of water over a smooth edge. Knots employs large circles of dark wood at almost regular intervals around the base, evoking a crown or goblet encrusted with jewels.
Crafts - Wood
wood - pine
About Marshall Elliott Jacobs
Born: Washington, District of Columbia 1923 Died: Chevy Chase, Maryland 2006
More works in the collection by
Marshall Elliott Jacobs
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Bill Viola's The Fall into Paradise
- Eye Level: April Gornik: Cloudy with a Chance of Clouds
- Eye Level: In This Case: Fall into the Gap
- Eye Level: Luce Unplugged: Five Questions with the Band ...
- Eye Level: Conservation of Alexander Calder's Gwenfritz
- Eye Level
- Eye Level: Bill Viola: Life, Death, and Everything in Between
- Eye Level: Christo and Jeanne-Claude: On the Making of the ...
- Eye Level: Preparing for African American Art: A Conversation ...
- Eye Level: Stop-Loss: Restoring the Aaron Douglas Murals at ...