1994 Marshall Elliott Jacobs Born: Washington, District of Columbia 1923 Died: Chevy Chase, Maryland 2006 Norfolk Island pine 6 x 13 3/8 in. (15.2 x 34.0 cm) diam. Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of Shirley and Marshall Jacobs 1998.29.2 Not currently on view
Luce Center Label
In Knots and Water Fall, Marshall Jacobs turned thin, smooth vessels to highlight the contrast between the pale, golden wood and the dark grain. The blurred lines of grain in Water Fall suggest the movement of water over a smooth edge. Knots employs large circles of dark wood at almost regular intervals around the base, evoking a crown or goblet encrusted with jewels.
Crafts - Wood
wood - pine
About Marshall Elliott Jacobs
Born: Washington, District of Columbia 1923 Died: Chevy Chase, Maryland 2006
More works in the collection by
Marshall Elliott Jacobs
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Gaman and the Story of the Vest with a Thousand ...
- Eye Level: Collecting for the Long Haul with Richard Kelly
- Eye Level: March 2017
- Eye Level: The Renwick Gallery and the Space in Between
- Eye Level: Award Winning Art Signs
- Eye Level: Package 1961 by Christo
- Eye Level: Pheon: Pass It On
- Eye Level: Gaming: Phenom Pheon
- Eye Level: Preserving Your Personal Collection ...
- Eye Level: Preparing for Our America: Depicting Exile