ca. 1818 Joseph Castel Born: Nice, France 1798 Died: Rome, Italy 1856 Copy after John Vanderlyn Born: Kingston, New York 1775 Died: Kingston, New York 1852 watercolor on ivory image (oval): 3 1/4 x 2 5/8 in. (8.1 x 6.6 cm) Smithsonian American Art Museum Bequest of Mary Elizabeth Spencer 1999.27.4 Not currently on view
Luce Center Label
James Monroe (1758-1831) served as the fifth president of the United States, from 1817 to 1825. This image is based on an engraving made in 1818 of a portrait of Monroe painted by fellow American artist John Vanderlyn.
Occupation - political - president
Portrait male - Monroe, James - bust
painting - miniature
paint - watercolor
About Joseph Castel
Born: Nice, France 1798 Died: Rome, Italy 1856
Born: Kingston, New York 1775 Died: Kingston, New York 1852
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Q and Art: American Art's Three-Way Portrait
- Eye Level: Picture This: Marilyn and Marilyn
- Eye Level: Thirty Dozen Doughnuts: Thirty Dozen Taxis
- Eye Level: Picture This: Something of Splendor
- Eye Level: Seeing Things (1)
- Eye Level: The Civil War and American Art: A Ride for Liberty?
- Eye Level: Collectors Roundtable: The Pleasures of Building a ...
- Eye Level: Throwback Thursday: Seeing Things (1)
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Anna Claypoole Peale