1996 Jan Baum Born: Doylestown, Pennsylvania 1966 nickel, silver, bronze, 24 karat gold plate necklace: 15 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 in. (39.4 x 1.3 x 1.3 cm) basket: 2 1/2 x 1 1/8 in. diam. (6.2 x 3.0 cm) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of Richard L. Ford, Jr. in honor of Jan Baum © 1996, Jan Patrice Baum 1999.95 Not currently on view
Luce Center Label
Jan Baum often uses the theme of containment in her work, making multilayered objects that can be opened or disassembled to reveal their interior. In this piece, a heavy gold pendant rests inside a silver cage. The wire structure protects the pendant while at the same time complementing its simple design.
decorative arts - jewelry
Crafts - Metal
metal - bronze
metal - gold
metal - silver
About Jan Baum
Born: Doylestown, Pennsylvania 1966
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: From A to Z with Andrea Zittel
- Eye Level: The Moving Image: Watch This 2.0
- Eye Level: Best of the Web
- Eye Level: Christo and Jeanne-Claude: On the Making of the ...
- Eye Level
- Eye Level
- Eye Level: Luce Foundation Center's Local Artist Talks: The ...
- Eye Level: February 2007
- Eye Level: July 2010
- Eye Level: Clarice Smith Lecture: Richard Lacayo on the Art of ...