ca. 1826 George Catlin Born: Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania 1796 Died: Jersey City, New Jersey 1872 watercolor on ivory sight 2 1/8 x 1 3/4 in. (5.4 x 4.4 cm) oval Smithsonian American Art Museum Museum purchase 1980.126.1 Not currently on view
Luce Center Label
William Wilson (1762-1844) was born in Scotland and, after moving to New York, married Agnes Ann Kerr of Edenton, North Carolina, in 1786. Their grandchildren’s marriages into the Lamb and Repiton families of North Carolina are commemorated in four other miniatures in this collection, of William Boswell Lamb and his wife, Margaret Kerr Lamb (see 1980.126.4 and 1980.126.5), and Joseph Lavoir Repiton and his wife, Marguerite Tangier Repiton (see 1980.126.2 and 1980.126.3).
Portrait male - Wilson, William - bust
painting - miniature
paint - watercolor
About George Catlin
Born: Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania 1796 Died: Jersey City, New Jersey 1872
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- George Catlin and His Indian Gallery / American Art
- George Catlin's Indian Gallery / American Art
- Exhibitions / American Art
- Online Exhibitions / Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Pigeon's Egg Head (The Light) going to and returning from ...
- Motivating and unifying most of her efforts is an overriding ...