Interior: Late August
Born: Minneapolis, Minnesota 1927
Died: New Delhi, India 2014
egg tempera on fiberboard 23 1/4 x 16 1/4 in. (59.0 x 41.3 cm.) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of the Sara Roby Foundation
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Luce Foundation Center, 4th Floor, 39A
Luce Center Quote
“This room never existed except in my mind. It is a composite of a number of rooms I’ve been in at one time or another---peopled by the discords or possessions of those who have been there.” Wynn Chamberlain
Luce Center Label
Wynn Chamberlain created this painting at the suggestion of an art dealer, who was exhibiting portraits of interior spaces. This haunting view of an unmade bed, open window, and a pinup calendar leads us to wonder who lives there. We can only see a corner of the bed, and it is easy to imagine the anonymous occupant is asleep. We are voyeurs, spying through the keyhole under the darkness of night.
Architecture Interior - detail - window
Architecture Interior - domestic - bedroom
Cityscape - season - summer
Object - furniture - bed
Object - furniture - chair
paint - tempera
About Wynn Chamberlain
Born: Minneapolis, Minnesota 1927 Died: New Delhi, India 2014
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Clarice Smith Lecture: Richard Lacayo on the Art of ...
- Eye Level: Artist Talks: A Summer of Craft
- Eye Level: Preserving the Parlor's Pictures
- Eye Level: The Civil War and American Art: A Confederate ...
- Eye Level: The Best of Ask Joan of Art: The History of ...
- Eye Level: Picture This: A Hole in One
- Eye Level: Inventing Equality: On Patents in the Great ...
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Silhouettes
- Eye Level: George Inness and I
- Eye Level: Sam Francis