Portrait of a Young Woman
ca. 1910 Mary Louisa Adams Clement Born: Newbury, Massachusetts 1882 Died: Warrenton, Virginia 1950 watercolor on ivory sight 3 7/8 x 3 in. (9.8 x 7.6 cm) rectangle Smithsonian American Art Museum Adams-Clement Collection, gift of Mary Louisa Adams Clement in memory of her mother, Louisa Catherine Adams Clement 1950.6.14 Not currently on view
Luce Center Label
Although the identity of the woman in this painting is not known, it is possible that Mary Louisa Adams Clement created it as a self-portrait at age twenty-eight. Conservation of this miniature was made possible through a generous grant provided by the Smithsonian Women’s Committee.
Portrait female - unidentified - bust
painting - miniature
paint - watercolor
Born: Newbury, Massachusetts 1882 Died: Warrenton, Virginia 1950
More works in the collection by
Mary Louisa Adams Clement
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Museum: A Tale of Art, Life and Everything In ...
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Anna Claypoole Peale
- Eye Level: Preparing for Our America: Portraying Community ...
- Eye Level: Erica Hirshler: Looking at John Singer Sargent
- Eye Level: Help Identify Ms. Nameless Artist
- Eye Level: Jamaica Kincaid on Being Kept In
- Eye Level: Looking at 1934: Lily Furedi's Subway
- Eye Level: Romaine Brooks: Body of Work
- Eye Level: Veteran Photography
- Eye Level: In This Case: A Filled Gap and My First Win