1999 Joe Wood Born: New York, New York 1954 sterling silver and 18k gold 1 1/2 x 1 1/8 x 1 1/8 in. (3.7 x 3.0 x 2.8 cm) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of Libby Cooper © 1999, Joe Wood 2001.11 Not currently on view
Luce Center Quote
“The idea of using silver’s properties to acknowledge the passage of time was important to me. It provided a way to dissolve sentiment.” Artist quoted in “Joe Wood: The Manifest Idea,” Metalsmith, Winter 1997
Luce Center Label
The radial symmetry of Star Ring reflects Joe Wood’s affinity for hypnotic imagery and geometric forms. Wood intentionally confuses any meanings associated with the design by treating the sterling silver with burned oils to give the metal “an ambiguous age.”
decorative arts - jewelry
Crafts - Metal
metal - gold
metal - silver
About Joe Wood
Born: New York, New York 1954
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Luce Unplugged: Five Questions with Star FK ...
- Eye Level: Luce Jewelry
- Eye Level: The Art of Contemporary Jewelry: Symposium on ...
- Eye Level: Cineconcert: 5 Questions with Ben-Hur Composer ...
- Eye Level: Museums and the Web Wake-Up Call
- Eye Level: In Memoriam: Sam Maloof (1916-2009)
- Eye Level: Artist Talks: A Summer of Craft
- Eye Level: Preparing for Our America: Raphael Montañez ...
- Eye Level: Eye Level's First Anniversary!
- Eye Level: Luce Unplugged: Five Questions + One with April ...