Big Bad Bird
Born: Mertzon, Texas 1912
Died: San Antonio, Texas 2000
molded glass 17 x 17 x 7 in. (43.2 x 43.2 x 17.8 cm) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of Margaret Pace Willson
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Luce Foundation Center, 4th Floor, 56A
Luce Center Quote
“The daily early morning walk across deserted San Marco piazza . . . the ride with the other workers, through the canals . . . to Murano, the work before the blazing hot furnaces in the hot weather, the ride home at night well tired and hot . . . it has become the most remembered and loved routine of my life.” Willson, 1981, quoted in Kangas, Robert Willson: Image-Maker, 2001
Luce Center Label
Robert Willson retired from the
Animal - bird
decorative arts - glass
Crafts - Glass
About Robert Willson
Born: Mertzon, Texas 1912 Died: San Antonio, Texas 2000
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: The Art of Gaman: The Bird Artist
- Eye Level: The Best of Ask Joan of Art: The Ghost Clock
- Eye Level: Gaman and the Story of the Bird Pins
- Eye Level: The Best of Ask Joan of Art: Stuart Davis
- Eye Level: Give American Craft Some Credit: For the Birds ...
- Eye Level: Wing and a Prayer: Birds in Contemporary Art
- Eye Level: Art Bird Watching: Fun For the Whole Flock in Any ...
- Eye Level: 5 Questions for Christopher Kendall on the 21st ...
- Eye Level: Docents Look Back on 40+ Years at SAAM
- Eye Level: Happy Thanksgiving from American Art and the ...