Electronic Superhighway: Continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii
Nam June Paik
Born: Seoul, Korea 1932
Died: Miami Beach, Florida 2006
fifty-one channel video installation (including one closed-circuit television feed), custom electronics, neon lighting, steel and wood; color, sound approx. 15 x 40 x 4 ft. Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of the artist
© Nam June Paik Estate
Smithsonian American Art Museum
3rd Floor, East Wing
When Nam June Paik came to the United States in 1964, the interstate highway system was only nine years old, and superhighways offered everyone the freedom to "see the U.S.A. in your Chevrolet." Walking along the entire length of this installation suggests the enormous scale of the nation that confronted the young Korean artist when he arrived. Neon outlines the monitors, recalling the multicolored maps and glowing enticements of motels and restaurants that beckoned Americans to the open road. The different colors remind us that individual states still have distinct identities and cultures, even in today's information age.
Paik augmented the flashing images "seen as though from a passing car" with audio clips from The Wizard of Oz, Oklahoma, and other screen gems, suggesting that our picture of America has always been influenced by film and television. Today, the Internet and twenty-four-hour broadcasting tend to homogenize the customs and accents of what was once a more diverse nation. Paik was the first to use the phrase "electronic superhighway," and this installation proposes that electronic media provide us with what we used to leave home to discover. But Electronic Superhighway is real. It is an enormous physical object that occupies a middle ground between the virtual reality of the media and the sprawling country beyond our doors.
Exhibition Label, Smithsonian American Art Museum, 2006
Landscape - United States
Object - furniture - television
Object - written matter - map
sculpture - assemblage
About Nam June Paik
Born: Seoul, Korea 1932 Died: Miami Beach, Florida 2006
More works in the collection by
Nam June Paik
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Nam June Paik: Birthdays Are Always Fun
- Eye Level: The Moon is a Television: On Nam June Paik's ...
- Eye Level: Olympian
- Eye Level: Primetime Artists
- Eye Level: Celebrate This: Nam June Paik's Birthday
- Eye Level: Picture This: Electronic Superhighway
- Eye Level: Boasting 101
- Eye Level: Let Them Eat Paik!
- Eye Level: Superhighway Scholars: Calling all 4th Graders
- Eye Level: Paik for Everyone
- Nam June Paik: Global Visionary
- TV Clock
- ETUDE 1
- Online Exhibitions / American Art
- Online Gallery - The Artistic Journey of Yasuo Kuniyoshi ...
- Acknowledgments - The Artistic Journey of Yasuo Kuniyoshi ...
- A Measure of the Earth
- Our America: The Latino Presence in American Art
- Graphic Masters / American Art
- Recordings by Mingering Mike - Mingering Mike's Supersonic ...