1993 Julie Anne Mihalisin Born: Gainesville, Florida 1962 slumped glass and silver 15 3/4 in. x 1 in. x 7/8 in. (40.0 x 2.6 x 2.3 cm) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of Sylvia and Eric Elsesser 2002.72.2 Not currently on view
Luce Center Quote
"I aim to create forms that are new, but somehow familiar by appealing to our desire for honesty and our endearment to natural forms." Artist's statement, 1993
Luce Center Label
Necklace embodies Julie Anne Mihalisin's commitment to "truth-to-materials." In this piece, the artist is careful to allow the natural, fluid properties of the glass to coexist with the precious metal in which it is mounted.
decorative arts - jewelry
Crafts - Mixed Media
metal - silver
About Julie Anne Mihalisin
Born: Gainesville, Florida 1962
More works in the collection by
Julie Anne Mihalisin
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Handi-Hour: Let's Make Duct Tape Wallets and T ...
- Eye Level: Ghosts of a Chance
- Eye Level: Luce Jewelry
- Eye Level: Simryn Gill
- Eye Level: Handi-Hour Back at the Renwick!
- Eye Level: Portraits of Women Artists
- Eye Level: Preparing for Our America: Portraying Community ...
- Eye Level: Picture This: Conserving a Lady
- Eye Level: Open Now: African American Art
- Eye Level: @ The Antiques Roadshow