1986 Michelle Holzapfel Born: Woonsocket, Rhode Island 1951 maple burl 11 1/8 x 11 1/2 x 3 1/2 in. (28.1 x 29.3 x 9.0 cm) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of Fleur and Charles Bresler in honor of Kenneth R. Trapp, curator-in-charge of the Renwick Gallery (1995--2003) © 1986, Michelle Holzapfel 2003.60.18 Not currently on view
Luce Center Quote
Luce Center Label
Michelle Holzapfel applies motifs taken from textiles and architecture to her objects, and her designs evoke ribbons, columns, and scrolls. The precise carving around Untitled suggests woven fabric and contrasts with natural defects in the wood.
Crafts - Wood
wood - maple
About Michelle Holzapfel
Born: Woonsocket, Rhode Island 1951
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: New Acquisitions: Donald Judd's Untitled
- Eye Level: A Graphic Master: Charles White
- Eye Level: A Closer Look at Our America: Jorge Soto Sánchez
- Eye Level: Lighting the Joseph Cornell Retrospective
- Eye Level: Through a Glass, Clearly: Art Glass @50
- Eye Level: The 2012 Edition of American Pictures
- Eye Level: Preparing for Our America: Portraying Community ...
- Eye Level: In this Case: Nam June Paik Archive
- Eye Level: Two New Additions to the Museum: Joseph Cornell
- Eye Level: The Threads That Connect the Stars: Poet Martín ...