1967-1968 Bruce Nauman Born: Fort Wayne, Indiana 1941 single-channel video, 16mm film on video, color, sound; 40:00 minutes Smithsonian American Art Museum Museum purchase made possible by the Ford Motor Company © 2015 Bruce Nauman / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York 2008.21.3A-D Not currently on view
Bruce Nauman is one of the most influential pioneers of film, video, and media art. Art Make-Up, Nauman's first "film environment," examines the physical exertion, anxieties, and transformations of art making. The artist sits in front of the camera and proceeds to paint his body in white, pink, green, and black makeup. The moving image is synchronized and projected on four screens intended to surround the viewer with the anxiety of the transformation.
Watch This!: Revelations in Media Art, 2015
Dress - accessory - makeup
About Bruce Nauman
Born: Fort Wayne, Indiana 1941
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: The Media Arts, or How I Learned To Stop ...
- Eye Level: Preparing for African American Art: A Conversation ...
- Eye Level: Preparing for African American Art: Conserving a ...
- Eye Level: Luce Foundation Center: Artist Talk by Martine ...
- Eye Level: Looking at 1934: Lily Furedi's Subway
- Eye Level: Five Questions with Chris Melissinos, Curator for ...
- Eye Level: You Say You Want a Revolution
- Eye Level: John Waters on Cy Twombly
- Eye Level: America Now! Live Painting in Our Kogod ...
- Eye Level: The Halff Collection