Born: Des Moines, Iowa 1910
Died: New York, New York 1966
formed and gilded fiberglass on steel base 79 x 79 x 79 in. (200.7 x 200.7 x 200.7 cm.) Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of the Feeley Grandchildren's Trust
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Luce Foundation Center, 3rd Floor, W310
Hear more about
Luce Center Quote
"He was full of vitality, open to everything . . . very giving and very alert . . . and a terrific teacher." Artist Helen Frankenthaler on Paul Feeley, quoted in Brockway, "Personalities of Painters in the '40s: Feeley, Knaths & Holt," Bennington Quadrille, February 1985
Luce Center Label
Paul Feeley believed that art was "the translation of three dimensions into two and of two into three." Jack is an abstract sculpture derived from Feeley's brightly colored paintings of undulating, symmetrical forms. It evokes a human figure standing on tiptoe and reaching out into all dimensions of space, like a ballerina on point or a little girl flinging her arms out and twirling "just for the fun of it." The points and curves in the sculpture create new shapes from the spaces around them, making us see the room in a new way. Jack embodies Feeley's conviction that art should be playful, imaginative, and accessible to people of all ages. The sculptor hoped that his works would encourage viewers to "ease off" and take life less seriously (Brockway, "Personalities of Painters in the '40s: Feeley, Knaths & Holt," Bennington Quadrille, February 1985).
glass - fiberglass
metal - steel
About Paul Feeley
Born: Des Moines, Iowa 1910 Died: New York, New York 1966
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: You Don't Know Jack, or Do You?
- Eye Level: Throwback Thursday: You Don't Know Jack!
- Eye Level: Five Questions with Filmmaker David Sutherland
- Eye Level: Carl Van Vechten: Harlem Heroes
- Eye Level: Acupuncture: Pitchfork Style
- Washington Arts Scene in the 1960s | Smithsonian American ...
- Eye Level
- Eye Level: Ella Fitzgerald Turns 100: Five Questions with ...
- Eye Level: Martha Graham and Isamu Noguchi: Cave of the ...
- Eye Level: New Acquisition: On The Road with Allan D' ...