Before the Start
1934 Gerald Sargent Foster Born: Westfield, New Jersey 1900 Died: Orangeburg, South Carolina 1987 oil on canvas 24 1/8 x 34 1/8 in. (61.3 x 86.7 cm.) Smithsonian American Art Museum Transfer from the U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service 1965.18.24 Not currently on view
Architecture - boat - sailboat
Recreation - sport and play - boating
Recreation - sport and play - racing
Waterscape - boat
Waterscape - coast
New Deal - Public Works of Art Project - New Jersey
paint - oil
fabric - canvas
About Gerald Sargent Foster
Born: Westfield, New Jersey 1900 Died: Orangeburg, South Carolina 1987
More works in the collection by
Gerald Sargent Foster
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: The Threads That Connect the Stars: Poet Martín ...
- Eye Level: Luce Unplugged: Five Questions with Star FK ...
- Eye Level: Picture This: Star Trek in Our Kogod Courtyard
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Copies of Artworks
- Eye Level: Before and After
- Eye Level: Luce Design Series: Five Questions with Tanis ...
- Eye Level: Best of the Web
- Eye Level: In Memoriam: Sam Maloof (1916-2009)
- Eye Level: A Year of Gaman: 5 Questions with Curator ...
- Eye Level: In This Case: A Filled Gap and My First Win