ca. 1835 Charles Fraser Born: Charleston, South Carolina 1782 Died: Charleston, South Carolina 1860 watercolor on ivory 5 1/8 x 4 in. (13.0 x 10.2 cm) rectangle Smithsonian American Art Museum Museum purchase through the Catherine Walden Myer Fund 1946.11.7 Not currently on view
Luce Center Label
Harriet Hampton (1791-1858) was the daughter of Wade Hampton (1752-1835), a Revolutionary War officer and major general in the War of 1812, and his third wife, Mary Cantey. The Hampton family of South Carolina was steeped in politics and military service. Harriet was also the aunt of Wade Hampton III (1818-1902), a noted Civil War officer and later governor of South Carolina.
Object - flower
Portrait female - Hampton, Harriet - waist length
painting - miniature
paint - watercolor
About Charles Fraser
Born: Charleston, South Carolina 1782 Died: Charleston, South Carolina 1860
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Sculpting a Career with Curator George Gurney
- Eye Level: Introducing Eye Level
- Eye Level: The Civil War and American Art: "The Alphabet is ...
- Eye Level: Cleaning Roy Lichtenstein's Modern Head
- Eye Level: Let's Begin Black History Month with Edmonia ...
- Eye Level: George Washington: His Head in the Clouds