2007 Jenova Chen Born: Shanghai, China 1982 Kellee Santiago Born: Caracas, Venezuela 1979 video game for SONY PS3, color, sound Smithsonian American Art Museum Gift of thatgamecompany © 2008 Sony Computer Entertainment American LLC. Flower is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. Developed by thatgamecompany. 2013.70 Not currently on view
The videogame Flower places participants in the role of the wind as they traverse a vast landscape and touch their surroundings. Choice and physical motion in play affect both color and sound as the environment responds in kind. Creators Jenova Chen and Kellee Santiago render an unexplored land for the player to feel and transform. Flower was conceived as an “interactive poem” in response to tensions between urban and rural space, encouraging participants to weave aural, visual, and tactile sensations into an emotional arc, rather than a narrative one.
Watch This!: Revelations in Media Art, 2015
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Seeing Things (9): Flowers in December
- Eye Level: Preparing for Its Close-up: Flowers by William H. ...
- Eye Level: Valentine's Day Special: Five Questions with ...
- Eye Level: The People Behind the Video Games ...
- Eye Level: Give Me Park Avenue
- Eye Level: Video Games: Now A Part of American Art's ...
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Margaret Jordan Patterson
- Eye Level: Manhattan in Black and White and Color
- Eye Level: Drawing on Love: Artists' Love Letters
- Eye Level: The Civil War and American Art: Six Questions for " ...