Born: Krivoi Rog, Russia 1901
Died: United States 1986
bronze/cast 18 3/8 x 7 1/8 x 6 1/4 in. (46.7 x 18.1 x 15.9 cm.) Smithsonian American Art Museum Museum purchase through the Director's Discretionary Fund
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Luce Foundation Center, 4th Floor, 47B
Luce Center Label
Eugenie Gershoy modeled this piece in 1975 as part of her series of artists’ portraits. In these sculptures, each artist is shown at work in his or her profession. Gershoy is depicted without tools and appears to be gesturing to the viewer. She may be describing something or working on a large sculpture that cannot be seen.
Occupation - art - painter
Occupation - art - printmaker
Occupation - art - sculptor
Portrait female - Gershoy, Eugenie - full length
Portrait female - Gershoy, Eugenie - self-portrait
metal - bronze
About Eugenie Gershoy
Born: Krivoi Rog, Russia 1901 Died: United States 1986
More works in the collection by
Blogs, Podcasts, and More
- Eye Level: Romaine Brooks: Gray Matters
- Eye Level: The Initiative
- Eye Level: Walk on Water, Please!
- Eye Level: Can You Name #5WomenArtists?
- Eye Level: Q and Art: Viola Frey
- Eye Level: Luce Artist Talk with Jackie Hoysted
- Eye Level: Roz Chast on Charles Addams: Laughter, Tears ...
- Eye Level: No Mojitos
- Eye Level: Art Conservation: A Look Inside Pio Casimiro ...
- Eye Level: Multiplicity: Five Questions with Joann Moser