Conservator Ann Creager removes the last patch of a layer of old varnish from this portrait (circa 1850), Woman with Gold Necklace.
Witness the magic of conservation in our latest video—and get the museum world’s take on “before” and “after.”
- Haiti’s Cultural Recovery Project
- Portrait of a Man by William H. Johnson
- Harry Bertoia’s Sculpture Group Symbolizing World’s Communication in the Atomic Age
- Collaborations in Conserving Time-Based Art
- Gallery Illumination: LED Lighting in Today’s Museums
- Conserving and Exhibiting the Works of Nam June Paik
- The Non-Invasive Analysis of Painted Surfaces: Scientific Impact and Conservation Practice
- Ice Cold: Solid Carbon Dioxide Cleaning Symposium
- Conservation & Exhibition Planning: Material Testing for Design, Display, & Packing
You can also stop by to view conservators at work in our Lunder Conservation Center. There you will see museum staff examining and treating artworks in state-of-the-art laboratories.