21 of 70

Gertrude Greene
Construction 1946
1946
oil
40 1/8 x 30 1/8 x 5/8 in.
Smithsonian American Art Museum, Gift of Patricia and Phillip Frost



Gertrude Greene developed her interest in art when she started an outdoor kindergarten. "We made little things with our hands, from clay, paper, and raffia." In Construction 1946, Greene integrated wood elements with brightly painted areas of fluid form. Reducing the palette to two primaries and shades of black and white, and banishing all figuration in favor of complete abstraction, she embraced avant-garde ideas developed first in Russia and Europe.