JOIN THE SMITHSONIAN AMERICAN ART MUSEUM AND RENWICK GALLERY TEAM IN WASHINGTON, DC
Applications due by Monday, November 22nd, 2021
This position is located in the Registrar’s Office, Smithsonian American Art Museum (SAAM), Smithsonian Institution. It is responsible for a variety of technical and logistical duties involved in the packing, movement, installation and transportation of art objects and special art exhibitions. The shipping and packing section is responsible for all packing and shipping of art work to and from SAAM and Renwick Gallery. The museum organizes 10 exhibitions yearly sometimes across the country.
Salary and Benefits
This is a permanent US Federal position in Washington, DC at GS-07, starting at $49,157/year with a salary range to $63,906/year. It includes full health, retirement, and leave benefits.
- Makes arrangements for and coordinates the operations involving packing, transportation, and special handling of art objects on loan to or from the museum. This includes the responsibility for the safe professional handling of works on loan from major museums and private collectors as they enter the museum.
- Initiates and maintains contact with lenders and packing firms on incoming and outgoing loan requests. Lenders range from individuals who have no expertise in art handling or packing to major art museums (domestic or foreign) who pack their own works and charge the museum.
- Designs special crates and interior packing for art objects and provides specifications to the contractor providing the crates for packing. Initiates and maintains contact with lenders and shipping companies for incoming and outgoing loan requests. These activities must be coordinated with other SAAM activities and availability of loading docks and delivery logistics if necessary.
- Ensures completion of appropriate written documentation related to the shipping-packing function. These include correspondence with professional packers, shippers, galleries and museums.
Knowledge and experience required by the position includes activities such as:
- Experience packing and shipping art objects
- Preserving and protecting collections in transit, on view, and in storage
- Protecting are objects in transit through construction techniques such as bracing, padding, and crating
- Tracking art objects using computer-based information systems
- Coordinating personnel and workspace in order to plan and meet shipping schedules and installation needs
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted online only, via the following links:
Applications must be submitted by Monday, November 22nd, 2021.
The Smithsonian Institution is an equal opportunity employer.