Luce Foundation Center Assistant
Smithsonian American Art Museum
The Smithsonian is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
IS-5 $37,113/yr with additional night differential for hours worked after 6pm, plus additional differential for hours worked on Sunday.
Full time, 40 hrs/week, to include Saturdays and Sundays, and occasional Federal Holidays. 11:00 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Be the point of contact for all visitors to the Luce Center. Answer questions, give information on the Center and its collections, provide guidance on using the Center and the kiosks.
- Communicate clearly, courteously, and effectively with visitors.
- Respond to visitor requests with the most accurate and complete information available.
- Coordinate with staff, docents, and volunteers to ensure accurate and consistent visitor service in all areas of the Museum.
- If visitor request requires additional research, provide visitor with relevant resources and follow up if necessary.
- Monitor the physical space – check seating areas for trash, keep information desk tidy, etc.
- Complete general administrative tasks
- Monitor visitor activity and create weekly reports based on observation, questions, feedback, and exit surveys.
- Whenever possible, elicit visitor feedback to improve service.
- Interpret visitor feedback in a professional and meaningful manner.
- Create reports that are clear, concise, and grammatically correct.
Collection, interpretation, and public programs
- Assist the Luce Center Coordinator in researching, editing, and developing interpretive content
- Research, develop, and present public programs that are engaging and relevant to the collection.
- Research and conduct tours for members of the public and other museum professionals.
- Coordinate with Museum staff, docents, and volunteers to successfully promote, plan and conduct programs and tours.
- Assist Luce Center Coordinator with online outreach and social media
- Assists with coordination of use of the MacMillan Education Center for meetings and programs.
- Knowledge of Art History, especially American art.
- Experience working with visitors in a museum or cultural facility.
- Experience in developing and presenting public programs and tours in a museum or cultural facility.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Excellent research skills and broad knowledge of research resources.
- Knowledge of museum practices.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience in tasks that require attention to detail.
- Interest in new media technologies and how they might be applied in museum settings.
How to Apply
Please submit your application by email to AmericanArtLuce@si.edu (subject line LUCE PROGRAM ASSISTANT) by February 28, 2019. Be sure to include:
- A cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and why you are qualified. Please also confirm in the letter that you are available to work the days and times listed above, and detail any commitments that may prevent you from working the outlined schedule for the foreseeable future.
- A résumé, including details of experience related to the Qualifications listed above
- Contact information and details of availability for an interview.
The Smithsonian is an Equal Opportunity Employer