Exhibition Label, Smithsonian American Art Museum, 2006
Malcah Zeldis refers to this painting as an “exultation of survival,” painted after her recovery from cancer in 1986, the same year as the centennial celebration of the Statue of Liberty. Dozens of flags and more than one hundred figures, including famous Americans such as Abraham Lincoln, Albert Einstein, Elvis Presley, and Marilyn Monroe stand with friends and famly of the New York artist to celebrate this icon of freedom. Zeldis has included herself, in a red dress, at the lower right.
Smithsonian American Art Museum: Commemorative Guide. Nashville, TN: Beckon Books, 2015.
Miss Liberty Celebration
- 54 1⁄2 x 36 1⁄2 in. (138.4 x 92.7 cm)
© 1987, Malcah Zeldis
- Credit Line
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Gift of Herbert Waide Hemphill, Jr.
- Mediums Description
- oil on corrugated cardboard
- Monument – statue – Statue of Liberty
- Ceremony – other – fireworks
- Waterscape – harbor – New York Harbor
- Figure group
- Cityscape – New York – New York
- Ceremony – holiday – Fourth of July
- Object Number
- Linked Open Data
- Linked Open Data URI