John Flanagan, Panama-Pacific International Exposition San Francisco, 1915, bronze, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Gift of the heirs of Albert Laessle: Mrs. Albertine de Bempt Laessle, Mr. Albert M. Laessle and Mr. Paul Laessle, 1972.167.61
The Panama-Pacific International Exposition opened on February 20, 1915, in San Francisco to celebrate the completion of the Panama Canal and commemorate the 400th anniversary of Balboa’s sighting of the Pacific Ocean. The exposition committee commissioned sculptor John Flanagan to create this medal. The Latin inscription, which reads “What God has Divided, Man Joins,” refers to the role of the Panama Canal in uniting Atlantic and Pacific trade and the cultures of Europe and Asia.
Panama-Pacific International Exposition San Francisco
- On View
- Not on view.
2 3/4 in. (7.0 cm) diam.
- Credit Line
Smithsonian American Art Museum
Gift of the heirs of Albert Laessle: Mrs. Albertine de Bempt Laessle, Mr. Albert M. Laessle and Mr. Paul Laessle
- Mediums Description
- Figure group – nude
- Allegory – arts and sciences – art
- Architecture Exterior – art building – Panama Pacific International Exposition
- Object Number
- Linked Open Data
- Linked Open Data URI